Monday, July 6, 2009

A pox on this house.

My poor neglected blog. Not much has happened since I last wrote of our adventure with pedicures. 
One big thing did happen though, I got sick. Which is the main reason I haven't updated my blog. I'm sure you are asking yourself what kind of ridiculous illness has made it impossible for me to leave my house. 
Chicken Pox. 
Yes, you read that correctly. 
At almost 33 years of age I have finally gotten the chicken pox.  A disease I got tested for when I was pregnant with Gabriella. When I got that test done it said that I had the antibodies that would make me immune from getting it.  Apparently that wasn't exactly true.  
Allow me to take you on my illness journey. 
I started not feeling well last Sunday night. I had a bit of a fever and didn't sleep very well. Monday, Greg was off and he and Gabriella went out without me and I got a little rest. Monday night I took a shower and noticed a few red bumps on my shoulders.  Tuesday morning I started throwing up and couldn't keep anything down. I got an acute appointment for the afternoon and headed to the doctor. When I checked in my fever had gotten up to 104.4 and I was not feeling good.  The rash had spread to my back.  When the Nurse Practitioner took a look he couldn't make a definitive diagnosis and asked me to come back on Thursday.  I got a shot of ibuprofen and headed home. Wednesday dawned to a face full of bumps and more high fevers, I still managed to take Gabriella to swim class before collapsing into bed and having Gabriella watch herself for most of the day. 
Thursday arrived and I went into the doctor. Once again the nurse practitioner had no idea what it was. He called down a dermatologist who took one look, then asked if I'd been exposed to the small pox vaccine recently. I replied no. Then with a triumphant gleam in his eye he said it was chicken pox.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the entire room was full of doctors who had never seen an adult or child with chicken pox.  This illness has basically been removed from doctors offices with a vaccine given when children are young it's just not seen anymore.  I was really not interested in being a teaching case. I was in shock, horrified that I had contracted an illness that was going to keep me covered in spots for 1-3 weeks.  
I've just reached the one week mark and I'm really no where near being over this illness.  Greg and Gabriella went out this weekend, but I stayed home. Safely quarantined  in the house.  I suppose I'll have to ask Greg to update the blog until I'm able to leave the house again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment