Monday, May 17, 2010

Hong Kong Express


We managed to take a short vacation before I become too uncomfortable to travel. Our choice of destination was Hong Kong. It was a short plane ride from Okinawa, only 3 hours. The flight was international so we got some delicious food on the plane. I think it was the best food we've received on a flight. We arrived in Hong Kong in the early evening and easily found our shuttle to the hotel. We stayed in the same hotel Greg and his family stayed in 12 years ago, the Y.M.C.A. Yep that's right, it's fun to stay at the YMCA. The hotel has the smell of pool as you enter the building but that's the only way the hotel is different from any other. We checked into the room just in time to see the laser light show across the water. We were able to view the show from our room and listen to the accompanying music on the radio, the tall buildings flashed with lights and lasers. After the light show we went out in search of dinner. We'd read in one of the travel magazines that a hotel near us had a New York style deli. We found the deli and quickly sat down to dinner. It was the best Ruben Sandwich I've ever had. Granted it's the first one I've had since moving to Japan, it was made with real corned beef and pastrami, and it came with sweet potato fries. The best part of the meal was the Doc Browns Cel-Ray soda that I had with my meal. I use to have that kind of soda when I was little, it tasted even better than I remembered. After dinner we headed back to the hotel because Gabriella was falling asleep at the table. Once Gabriella and I were all tucked into bed Greg headed out to find a pub. He was eventually successful but by the time he got back to the room he was soaking wet. Our first few hours in Hong Kong had come to a close and we rested up for our next big adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment