Thursday, October 7, 2010

You don't know what you've got until it's gone...


My parents left on Tuesday and I've already considered calling their hotel in Tokyo to beg them to come back. They were here for almost 8 weeks and have been holding at least one baby since their birth. I think their presence spoiled me, they were always around if I needed something big or small. They would bring me a glass of water, get Gabriella a snack, hold a baby, change a diaper and even just let me take a nap. My mom and dad probably changed about 500 diapers during their stay, fed the babies 500 bottles and held them more than either Greg or I did. Now that they've gone the babies miss them, when I pick up Julia, Genevieve looks to see who will pick her up. Now they are forced to share me or Greg because we are hardly ever both able to hold them at the same time. Nights are harder, now instead of 4 people sharing the night shift there are only two. This is clearly my reality and the past 7 weeks have been a vacation. While I may miss their help a lot I also miss the comfort their presence brought me. In my most post pregnancy hormonal moments they were there to hug me and tell me it was going to be ok. I miss that reassurance a lot more than I thought I would. I miss the hugs and the kind words of encouragement. I even miss the random items from the shoppette. I made a pot of coffee this morning and realize that no one else is here to share it with me. I know I can do all this on my own because God only gives you what you can handle, but I wish I could share it with my parents again. We have less than a month on island and in between now and then we have 3 trips planned and two shipments to organize. My days will be busy and I will have less time to think about my parents, but for right now I'm sending out my love and thanks to them for a job well done. And reminding them not to get too comfortable because we will be back in a month and I'm going to need some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment