Monday, June 15, 2009

Swimming Lessons


Today was the first day of Gabriella's swim lessons, a summer tradition which we've all participated in and were thrilled to introduce her to. The day dawned stormy and wet, but rain or shine the lessons would go on.  In fact when I went to sign her up for these lessons, they said there was only a few reasons the swim lesson would be cancelled, the main ones were typhoon and lightning.  Signing Gabriella up for these lessons was an adventure all on its own.  The sign up was scheduled from 8-11 am on a Saturday. When I went to the parents orientation earlier in the week, it was suggested that getting to sign ups early was imperative if you want to get your child into a particular class time.  So doing my due diligence I arrived at the sign up place at 7am, the line was already wrapped around the building. Once I got in and received my number I was number 73, to give you an idea of how popular these lessons are, when I left they were giving out number 198.  Well all my line standing was worth it because I was able to get Gabriella into the best class for her. It is at 8 am in the morning, but she doesn't seem to mind.  Today's lesson was just an introduction to the water and perhaps a little test to see how comfortable the kids were in the water. Gabriella was happy to get into the water and to hang desperately onto the side while the other kids were taken out to show their kicking skills and ability to blow bubbles. Once it was Gabriella's turn she looked a little nervous, but she was able to persevere. I'm confident by the end of the lessons she will be much more comfortable in the water, maybe even be able to get her hair wet without bursting into tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment