Sunday, January 3, 2010

Snow in Okinawa: December 23rd


Ok, I've really fallen behind on my posting and as tempted as I am to just cut my losses and start fresh. I would be doing an injustice to my holiday season. We had so much fun with a special visitor, introducing and being introduced to holiday traditions and new experiences that I would be remiss if I didn't mention them. So most of these posts will be post dated as I desperately attempt to catch up with the present.
December 23rd was our first full day with our special Christmas guest. Matt, Greg's brother, came to visit for a week over Christmas. Our first day out we took him to our favorite rotating sushi restaurant for lunch, then to the commissary to pick up our Prime Rib, the mini mini egg zoo for a couple dozen eggs, and finally Blue Seal to pick up our Christmas cake. Our little outing took a while and Matt was surprised at the traffic our little island always seems to have. While I'm sure running errands was thrilling, it certainly wasn't the highlight of the day. That night we went to the Snow at the Zoo event at the Okinawa Zoo. It's a winter carnival of sorts which ran from 12/23-12/27. It included a laser show, real snow trucked in for kids to play with and lots and lots of food booths and games. Matt and I shared a delicious bowl of Ramen while Gabriella got her corn dog for dinner. Only a small portion of the zoo was open, none of the animal exhibits were available for viewing. However, the whole zoo was decorated with lights. We walked through Christmas tunnels and past huge inflatable Christmas characters. The funnel cake was delicious and the laser show was quite impressive. While Greg and Gabriella stood in line for the sled ride I watched the Okinawa hip hop dancers. They have some very impressive moves. The whole experience was unique and very fun. The zoo was very crowded and we were fortunate to find a pay parking lot close to the entrance. I found it ironic that Gabriella's first experience with snow happened on a tropical island. I hope she remembers it.

No comments:

Post a Comment