Thursday, January 28, 2010

This week in Boot Camp

This week has been a tough week. Although I'm sure I've had harder weeks, had weeks where we've done more reps or weeks where we started over more often. Yet this week for me has been increasingly tough. I suppose without pain there is no change. I know the plan, I know the way to be successful is through diet and exercise. I know these things yet I continually make bad choices. Like chocolate ice cream for dessert instead of nothing. Monday and Tuesday of this week were standard days, weights, crunches and pain. Wednesday we ran and I had a realization about my journey. When I started boot camp in August the very first week I got lost running around the same park I ran at on Wednesday. I suppose a change is that I don't get lost any more that my path at that park is ingrained into my brain now. But that wasn't the realization. When I started in August they had just started working on a building at this park. I believe it's for a sporting event coming up sometime late this summer. Possibly an Olympic try out center or something, I'm not sure. I don't read Japanese. But that's not the point. The point is that on Wednesday I realized how much this building has been completed. The windows are in, the smell of fresh paint spills out into the cool early morning air. This building has gone from just a foundation to a beautiful structure in 5 months. I couldn't help but see the similarities between this building and myself. I suppose I already had the foundation when I entered boot camp, I was relatively healthy and I had the desire to complete this challenge. Just like the building has been put together so have I. As the building had walls constructed I constructed healthier eating habits. When the building got floors I was probably strengthening my legs or as it got a roof my brain began to praise my own accomplishments in self improvement. Now this building is almost finished, the outer facade looks wonderful, very artful and modern. I too feel like my facade is looking nicer these days but what I'm really proud of is my structure, my inner workings which are firing on all cylinders and working efficiently for the first time in a very long time. This is all thanks to boot camp: getting up every day at 4:12 am, working as hard as I can for 1 hour and then coming home and continuing the program throughout the rest of my day. I have a mere 5 weeks left until this second session is over and I'm unsure if I will continue. Do I have the necessary skills to keep my new building from falling down or should I stay and work a little longer with the architect that helped sculpt this new me. That is a question I will consider in the coming weeks but this week I'm just celebrating the building of a new me.

2 comments:

  1. Let me help you answer your question, YES!!!!! Stay until we leave the island. Today, my sansei said his first Do Jo instructor taught a weapons course and he had every intention of taking it and learning his valuable defense techniques until one day the man died and he realized he missed the boat and a great opportunity. So seize your opportunity with John until you no longer have him around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do great! You know what you have to do. Reading your post, I could seriously say that you could do it NOW. You have done awesome. You have a great foundation.

    I recommend setting some sort of goal to work towards when you complete Boot Camp. For me, it was training for another half marathon after I finished my first marathon. It could be any goal. Pick up a book and follow the program (Julian Michaels, Winning By Losing is one I used before).

    You are ready! Congratulations on all your success.

    ReplyDelete