Wednesday, September 8, 2010

School's in Session



Tuesday marked a big day in Gabriella's life, it was her first day of kindergarten. We'd visited the school a week and a half prior to meet her teacher and tour her classroom. But Tuesday was the official first day. Greg and I both got up early and drove her to school so we could take the obligatory picture. She has been so excited to go to school and every small thing on the to do list has made entering school a little more real. It started early in the summer with the purchasing of school supplies. As we ticked things off the list she asked what she would be doing with the 10 glue sticks, or 2 boxes of crayons or the folders. We discussed in detail what the teachers expectations would be regarding behavior and what she could expect to learn. We talked about what she would like to take for lunch and snack time. We've talked up school since she started preschool and I think our enthusiasm paid off. Neither Gabriella or myself cried as she lined up and walked into her classroom. She barely looked back and I could barely tear my eyes away from her retreating form. She walked into the door and I saw 5 years of her life flash before me, first smile, first steps, first words, first day of preschool and now first day of kindergarten. As we drove away from the school I thought of how this will happen ever September for the next 12 years, it was a little mind boggling.
Wednesday was another first for Gabriella, it was her first day to ride the bus. She climbed aboard the big yellow bus with a wave goodbye and headed to school without looking back. The day seems longer without her home. Greg and I took Julia and Genevieve outside to meet big sister as she got off the school bus. Gabi was thrilled to see that her little sisters had come out to greet her. Her details of what she's been doing at school are sketchy at best, but so far she comes home excited to go back. Personally, I'm looking forward to her first day off because I miss her.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, she really looks older in these pictures! I'm glad she likes it. Is she in the same class as Grace, Audrey, Anna or Sophia? I know what you mean, I felt the same way--I can't believe we will be doing this every day for the next 12 years! I can't wait for the weekend too. Although, Mallory only goes from 7:15-11:15am. Miss you and please tell Gabi we are so happy and proud of her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriella is in a class with Grace. Sophia is going to Cherry Blossom, she has a late birthday and Audrey goes to Zukeran because she lives on Foster. I can't believe how long Gabriella's days are she gets on the bus at 8:20 and off at 3:50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Therese, I know EXACTLY how you feel! It's so hard to let them go.
    I hope she has a great teacher ... there's some good ones!
    -Angie

    ReplyDelete