Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rest Not Want Not


Sunday is typically the day of rest. That adage does not hold true for us on Sunday's when Greg is off work. Today was chocked full of fun. We started our day at church, then came home, had a quick breakfast and headed out. Our first stop was Manta Park, it had a huge rollerslide as well as a playground and a concrete slide.  Above is a picture of me going down the concrete slide. I think I have a bruised tailbone. The injury reminded me of why I don't play on the equipment. Our next stop was a sports store, it had a lot of cool jerseys for all sorts of sports. We even saw a Real Madrid soccer jersey.  Next door to the sports store was a home accessory store, it reminded me a little of Ikea. Greg and I finally found a rug for our room.  After shopping we headed north to Camp Courtney. We were on the hunt for a highly recommended Thai restaurant to have lunch, alas it was closed. Instead you took a spin around the base and then headed out for Mexican food. After sating our hunger we stopped at Gate 2 street. It's a street outside Kadena Airbase full of bars and clothing stores. Nothing on the street was particularly interesting with the exception of a china store and a liquor store.  China Pete's is an institution here on Okinawa, it was full of beautiful china sets, dishes, tea sets, and decorative bowls. Gabriella was like a bull in pete's china shop, she would not stay still, so it was a quick visit. I plan to go back sometime soon while Gabriella is at school.  Around the corner from China Pete's was a very nondescript liquor store. I wanted to stop because we've been on the hunt for Helios Beer. The brewery is on Kokusi street and Greg really enjoyed it. We've seen it in bottles at the Cherry Blossom festival, but so far have been unable to find it for purchase in any stores. Unfortunately this liquor store did not have it, but they did have a lot of other beer from home. Including the elusive Newcastle, Guiness Bitter, Chimay and a lot of others. Greg and I now have a spot to go for yummy beer. We are thrilled. I was also excited because I was able to buy a bottle of Sake which I had once and liked.  After such a momentous find we decided to call it a day.  I was able to squeeze in my Wii fit exercises despite my serious tailbone injury.  Greg and I have been playing wii for most of the night and now that I've posted this I'm off to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment