Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Who would have thought.


I noticed this particularly amusing vending machine while I was running to the ATM to get cash for lunch yesterday. I went back today to take a picture because I couldn't believe that someone would have a need for a hot dog vending machine. I will note that the machine was out of hotdogs this morning when I snapped the photo, so obviously people do need vending machine hotdogs.  This vending machine is just one in a long line of convenience food and beverage machines that I encounter everyday here in Okinawa.  The only difference is most of the other machines I encounter are off base, this hotdog vending machine is on base which surprised me a little bit. As I was taking my picture someone came up and asked if I'd tried one of the hotdogs yet. I replied that I hadn't but I definitely will. He said that it's great for a late night snack when the standard vending machine chips aren't enough.   Personally I prefer the Japanese vending machines. They have a lot of very interesting things in their vending machine. In previous posts I've extolled on the virtues of the fried food vending machines and the beer vending machines. When we were in tokyo we even found a Disney souvenir vending machine at the train station. Think of the convenience of this machine. Imagine, you as a parent hauling your exhausted and cranky child up to the train station, as the train is pulling into the station he/she reminds you that they were promised a toy, the tantrum starts and low and behold right on the platform for your convenience is a vending machine selling adorable Disney shwag.  At that moment it would seem that the vending machine was sent by God.  Unfortunately, there are a number of things wrong with this scenario, first Japanese children are very well behaved, I've never actually seen a child having a tantrum. Second, if the train is pulling into the station you'd better be sprinting to the door because the trains are incredibly punctual, they won't wait for you to buy that vending machine souvenir.  Thirdly, if you've really had a full day at Disney your child would probably be asleep.  But the point is made, it's a cool vending machine, far cooler than the hotdog vending machine.  I can't wait to see what other vending machines will pop up. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I don't know about a vending machine hot dog...I will take your word for that, you let me know how it tastes...

    ReplyDelete