Sunday, May 31, 2009

Eggcelent Adventure



I know that the egg puns are starting to get boring, however this one makes a lot of sense. Saturday was a shopping day. Earlier in the week I hurt my back so I was unable to spread out all my shopping throughout the week.  Therefore by the time Saturday rolled around we were all out of fresh groceries. Also we needed to stock our typhoon kit since typhoon season officially started May 1st.  Our last stop of the trip was the Mini Mini Egg Zoo. I'm absolutely sure that is not the actual translation of the store but that is what I like to call it because it describes the establishment perfectly. At mini mini you can buy eggs and see a menagerie of animals that boggles the mind. I know that you are doubting my description so allow me to list the animals that we saw on Saturday.  Here is the list in no particular order: a cow, ostriches, emus, donkeys, monkeys, a wallaby, parrots, macaws, peacocks, a llama, chinchillas, an armadillo, rabbits, ducks,  2 ponies, a small herd of goats, and enough turtles to drown the island in turtle soup. The place is full of animals of all shapes and sizes.  The question in my mind is "Where did all these animals come from?" Some seem easy to explain, they came from local farms or pet stores. Others like the 15 peacocks and the wallaby seem hard to explain. I know they aren't found natively in Okinawa.  I suppose it's best not to wonder, it's just nice to enjoy seeing all these seemingly happy and well taken care of animals. Did I mention that the mini mini zoo is free? Yep, no purchase required. They do sell eggs at this zoo, which is why we go there. The zoo of animals is a surprising perk. The eggs are fresh brown shelled eggs from a farm just down the road. Apparently the actual store is too full of zoo animals to actually house the working egg farm. We buy a couple of dozen and I find that 2 dozen lasts us about 2 weeks. The eggs are delicious. This is the first time in my life I've had fresh eggs, meaning eggs bought from a farm and not from a supermarket. I can definitely tell the difference between a fresh egg and a supermarket egg. I could wax poetic about egg being the perfect food, but I'll save that for another day.  The mini mini also makes delicious cream puffs. We didn't buy any this time because the cream puff line was a little long and I had other grocery items in the car.  I'm sure next time I'll pick up a couple of cream puffs for dessert. 

1 comment:

  1. Can you email me directions to mini mini egg farm zoo, please? It sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete