Sunday, February 15, 2009

Religion, the constant

Greg was on call this weekend, so I suppose I'm lacking for adventures to write on. We did go somewhere today, church. Being Catholic has provided us with a very familiar routine since we've moved to Japan. Every Sunday morning we go to church.  I've always felt that religion gives a sense of community, a sense that your life is bigger than just yourself, but here it means something much greater than that. My religion gives me a sense of purpose, it gives me a routine that makes me feel safe in an unfamiliar place. It also lends itself to continuity in my life and the lives of my family. We try to go to church every Sunday. Every Sunday I hear very familiar gospel verses and I know that all my fellow Catholics are hearing the same thing. Those verses make me think of my past, some verses remind me of the first time I've heard them,  some make me think of the first time I've heard them outside of church. The all make me feel safe. In a life that I feel has so much discombobulation this one thing is always the same. It makes me feel safe, it gives me one hour a week to share with Gabriella a little bit of tradition, it gives us a greater purpose.  It feels strange, something that I found so aggravating, so required, so correct has changes into a blessing that I lean on every week just to give me a little taste of home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment