Monday, April 13, 2009

California Dreaming

Gabriella and I are back in California. As much as I missed CA I really didn't want to come back for a funeral. But, that isn't what I want to talk about today. Yesterday we arrived and I had to pick up a few essentials and some last minute easter gifts. My mom was kind enough to drive me around while I waited for my car's battery to charge.  Our first stop was the mall. I went through a little bit of culture shock.  The first thing I noticed was that no one was saying "Shamasei", I know that is butchered in spelling and accuracy, but it's what I hear every time I walk into a store in Japan. Also it was a shock to see so many Americans and to be able to read everything. I suppose I never really considered how out of the loop I am when I walk into Jusco because I can't really read all the signs or labels.  By far the strangest thing was driving. I headed over to my in-laws for easter eve and it was all I could do to keep up to the speed limit on the freeway. I realized a few times that I was going below 50 when the speed limit is 65 which means everyone is driving 80. I also used the windshield wipers about 11 times instead of the directional signal.  And this morning I drove on the wrong side of the street through most of Greg's parents neighborhood, luckily it was 5:50 am and no one was out.  It has been quite a trip already and it's only been a few days. 
I also had some delicious mexican food today, I didn't realize how much I missed it. Next on the food agenda In and Out. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything is okay...travel safely...

    ReplyDelete