Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Pass the Poi


Another few days in Hawaii have passed and we are more relaxed than ever. My dad has taken the brunt of the babysitting duties so I've had a chance to relax and enjoy the island. My mom and I went shopping today and I bought a few new books from Barnes and Nobel. I read my book club book on the flight from Tokyo to Honolulu, so I needed some new reading material. After the bookstore we went on a fruitless search for terry cloth shorts for my mom. Although no shorts were found in the epic search of the Lahaina Cannery shops I did get a new sunhat so the trip wasn't a total bust.
Today I went in the ocean for a quick swim in some pretty rough waves. The water certainly wasn't as warm as Okinawa, but it was easy to get use to once I got in all the way. I dried off at the pool soaking in some rays and working on my tan.
Tonight was a great luau at the Royal Lahaina Hotel. The food was amazing, my favorite was the Kahlua pig and the vegetable stir fry. There was even a kids buffet for my little keiki. The show was fantastic, the best part was the mistress of ceremonies who was both clever and traditional. The dancers were great and Gabriella was enthralled by the show. My favorite quote is as follows.
Scene: Female Dancer in short skirt doing a very quick hip shaking hula.
Gabriella: "She's shaking her bottom a lot."
Gabi even showed off a few of her hula moves during the show. There was plenty of eye candy for both the men and the ladies. And of course there were fire dancers, which always adds an element of danger.
All and all it was a fantastic day. Tomorrow my cousin Jenifer arrives and I can't wait.

1 comment: