Thursday, March 11, 2010

Making the next Einstein

The discussion of playing music to your unborn children in order to make them smarter is a much debated and completely unproven theory. Lately television has been boring so I've been listening to a lot more music. As the music of Darren Hayes pours into my ears I wonder what the little babies think of it. I wonder if the ridiculous lyrics of Ben Folds Five or Cake have any positive or negative effect on them. I've read stories of parents claiming their child instantly calmed when they heard songs played to them while in utero. Gabriella did listen to a lot of Beatles while in my tummy and she does like their music, but I attribute it to playing it often for her after she was born and the fact that their song Here comes the Sun was featured in Bee Movie. It's curious to think of all the things that I do that effects these new little lives inside me. What I eat will help them to grow, the exercise I do helps to stimulate blood flow to them and apparently the music I listen to may help them to be smarter. The concept of nurturing while in the womb is the subject of many many books. As I've perused the twin books collection on Amazon I've passed a ridiculous numbers of books claiming ways to make your child brilliant while still gestating. Personally I'm doing all I can to keep these two fed and comfy in their water world. I don't think I need to add an hour of Mozart pulsed through my stomach on a specially designed speaker system, which happens to retail for $150. My attitudes towards necessities have shifted dramatically from when we were preparing for Gabriella's arrival. This time instead of wanting everything I want just the basics. Not the latest and greatest but the time tested and simple. Oh how time has brought maturity, the understanding that these babies will turn into great people not because of what they have but what we teach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment