Sunday, March 28, 2010

Size does Matter


I'm not a big fan of numbers especially numbers on a scale or the number of my dress size. There are a few times when that hasn't been the case. When I was actively doing boot camp I looked forward to seeing my weight drop off as I worked hard each week towards my goal. As for dress sizes I haven't really been shopping since I went home to the states for my cousin's wedding. At that time I was still loosing weight so the only thing I bought were a pair of jeans and some long sleeve shirts. Yesterday as I tried on dress after dress only to realize that they were all hopelessly big on me I decided to try to find a better fitting dress. I've never really liked shopping at the exchange because there are very limited plus size clothes. As I walked through the dress section of the exchange I pulled a few dresses off the wall wondering if they would fit. The size seemed completely ludicrous but the dress was beautiful. I held it up to myself and it seemed like the possibility of it fitting was there so I took it into the dressing room. As I slid myself into the first dress I was pleased to see how well it fit, it was a very pretty navy blue. I was also thrilled that it was a size 16. All the other dresses in my closet are size 22. The next dress was black which I was already leaning towards because I had shoes to match but it was a size 14 and I didn't really think it was possible for it to fit me. It was with ecstatic elation that I pulled that dress over my head and fastened the tie. I studied myself in the mirror and was thrilled at how well the dress fit me. It did show off my pregnant belly which is to be expected, but the rest of me looked great in it. I did a little dance of joy and jumped up and down a few times, it was a wonderful moment. In that one moment I saw the strides I've made in weight loss over the past year. I've changed both mentally and physically how I exercise how I eat and how I perceive myself. I can wear dresses from almost every section of a department store. I can fit into a dress that isn't deemed plus size and look good. It was a big wow moment for me.

1 comment:

  1. What a great picture of you Therese - you look beautiful! You are still losing weight ... it shows!

    ReplyDelete