Thursday, March 25, 2010

Market Day

This morning after a week of procrastination I finally dragged myself to the grocery store. But one grocery store isn't enough here on Okinawa. My first stop was the JA fresh market, this is my favorite produce market. Today I was there first thing in the morning which usually doesn't happen. I like to wait until Gabriella is out of school because she loves to peruse the vegetables. This morning the vendors were still putting out their vegetables and many of them were still warm from the fields. Each vendor happily explained why their products were superior to the others around them mostly in Japanese but a few could speak english. One lady was putting out some delicious looking napa cabbage and although I didn't plan to buy any but her enthusiasm was contagious and I purchased one. I got a full bag of vegetables and fruits for about $15 US, a fantastic deal for a lot of delicious vegetables. My next stop was the Mini Mini egg store where I picked up a basket of eggs. I was going to get some cream puffs but they weren't made yet. My final stop was the commissary to get all those groceries that are only available on a base. Those include bread, milk, asparagus, canned foods and cheese. I managed to do all these errands before pick up time for Gabi's school. Now our house is fully stocked with healthy foods and I'm ready for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment