Saturday, January 31, 2009

A girly night out



Friday night was girls night. I went out with Amy, one of Greg's fellow pediatricians to the world famous Cocko's nail salon. My adorable tootsies are pictured above. This is the first time I've had my nails done here in Okinawa, and it's going to become a regular occurrence.  Next time I go I'm going to take Gabriella. I'm getting ahead of myself. We arrive at Cocko's, have a seat in their waiting area and peruse the bowl of candy they have sitting there. A few minutes later we are shown to our comfy leather chairs. There are no vibrating chairs here, but the chairs are comfy and they recline. They also give you a blanket to cover your legs in case you get chilly. The window was open and we had a beautiful view of the crashing waves and the sea wall. As soon as you sit down you must begin your perusal of "The Notebook". The notebook is a binder full of all the designs you can have done on your fingernails and toes. There are hundreds of them, possibly a thousand. They are more intricate than anything I've ever seen in the states.  Again, I'm getting ahead of myself. Once they have you all tucked into your seat, they start by taking off your old nail polish.  They also give you complimentary tea, it's iced and sweetened and delicious, I drank two glasses while we were there. They also have a full bar if you are in the mood for something a little stronger. We thought about getting wine, but they were already out.  The next step in the pampering is the warm water that your feet slip into. It felt heavenly.  They ask you to choose an essential oil, the choices were Green Tea, Lavender, and two other's I can't recall. They dry your feet off, scape the bottoms and then start on the most heavenly pressure point massage using the essential oil of your choosing, I got lavender. It was so nice, if I had been there by myself I could have easily fallen asleep. Just thinking about it makes me sigh in delight.  Then the mastery starts, you point to the design you've chosen and tell them if you want the same colors or if you want to change the base color under the design. They go over to the turn table of nail polish and pick the colors needed to create your design. They also have regular poster paint and glitter. My design started with a base coat of metallic gold, then, some blue, some pink, then the cherries were painted on, then the stems, then the glitter and rhinestones.  It took a while, but it was so worth it. I feel like I'm wearing a beautiful piece of art. The total for the pedicure was 3950 Yen, about $45, it was so worth it. Next time I'm going to take Gabriella, they have a large set of children's designs, I wonder what she will choose. 
After the pampering, we had a delicious dinner and a night on the town. We went to a few bars, even played a crazy roulette shot game which I had the unfortunate luck of drinking a siracha flavored shot, yuck.  It was a fantastic night. I can't wait to do it again but next time I'll take Greg with me. It's always more fun when we go out together. 

2 comments: