Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year

A very good friend suggested I start a blog so my family and friends and complete strangers surfing the internet can see what we are up to over here in Okinawa.  I suppose I should give some brief background for some of those internet strangers. 
We, my husband, my daughter and myself and currently living in Okinawa Japan while my husband is here working as a pediatrician at the Naval Hospital.  We will be here for 2 years. 
So far I've been kind of depressed about living here, I found that I miss home and friends far more than I ever realized. I've found adjusting to life on a military base to be difficult and getting use to living in a new country and overcoming a language barrier daunting. 
But in the spirit of change I decided that if I continue on the path I've been on since arrival I will be counting down the days until I get to go home instead of relishing the opportunity for adventure. So in that vein, I started this blog to document my adventures. 
All my time has not been horrible, I haven't spent every day crying myself to sleep on my huge pillow. So I will revisit some of my favorite things so far. 
1. Vending Machines, from the moment we got off the airplane I've seen hundreds of them, in alleys and on streets where there isn't a building to be found. They contain everything from sodas, to hot drinks, to cigarettes to my personal favorite Gelato.  I try to have at least one delicious vending machine treat every time we go out.
2. Their stores, they have huge department stores, so far my favorite is Jusco. It's across the street from the base I live on, I can walk to it, and I'm starting to learn where everything is. They have a huge play area for kids and for 300 yen your child can play for 20 minutes in a mini version of Chucky Cheese, ball pit included. 
Those so far are my favorites. I'm sure I'll add more as this blogging process goes forward.
Well lets start with our first activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment