Saturday, February 27, 2010

I have to go potty


Those are probably the most feared words in the english language for a parent. I heard those very words yesterday evening while Gabriella and I were walking home in a torrential rain storm. Here is how the evening went down. We went out to dinner at our favorite sushi go round followed by dessert at Yogurtland. The food and frozen yogurt really hit the spot. It was raining steadily as we left American Village for our quick walk home. We dropped Greg off at I's his favorite local watering hole and then walked towards home. We'd gotten inside the gate and were walking in front of the hospital heading towards our home when those dreaded words came out of Gabriella's mouth. I had just received a call from Rachel asking if we wanted her to pick us up. I said we were almost home and would be fine. My first thought was to turn around and head into the hospital but then I remembered that there are bathrooms inside the post office. I hurried up the sidewalk towards the post office. As we walked through the door Gabriella was already in dire straits, she clearly needed to go. We checked the door to the woman's bathroom and it was locked, Gabriella immediately suggested the men's bathroom but again the door was locked. When I delivered the bad news I thought that Gabriella was going to burst into tears. The only thing to do was to do our best to make it to our house. We started walking as quickly as possible through the pouring rain towards our house. As the house came into sight Gabriella was practically crying while I pulled her along towards home. Making it to the door I got the key in the lock and pried the door open. The moment the door swung open Gabriella bolted into the house and into the bathroom. She made it with probably just seconds to spare before she had an accident. We were soaking wet when we got home so we stripped out of our wet clothes, tossed them in the washer and headed upstairs for hot shower and warm jammys.

No comments:

Post a Comment