Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Boot Camp Day 3

Ok, so I should be in bed right now resting up for tomorrow's boot camp, but I wanted to post this. Today was our running day. We met at a nice park, used by some people for cruising.  It was 5 am and we started running.  Now many of you know me and I don't run, ever. Even if I was being chased I'd have to consider if I could take the person before I would choose to run. But today with no one chasing me I ran. Not only did I run, but I ran all over this stupid park because in my sweat addled brain I failed to listen to which way I was suppose to go. I feel like I saw every single part of this park, the playground, the baseball stadium, the obstacle course the alternative lifestyle inclined hot spots.  I'll admit when I was at my lowest walking up a steep stairway only to realize that I was no where near the end of this tortuous run I cried a little or a lot depending on what your definition of a lot is. It wasn't like a Steel Magnolia kind of cry, but it was close. Instead of giving up, I just turned up my ipod and sang along with a little Madonna and some Savage Garden and I don't even know who else because by them my ears were sweating. But one song came on and it put everything into perspective. "Don't fear the Reaper" was somehow on my workout mix. And I realized as I listened to the song, silently asking for more cowbell, that I probably wasn't going to die because of running. That my life wasn't going to end on the side of a hill at this Okinawan park being feasted on by hungry bats. I realized that I'd probably eventually make it back to where I started or eventually someone would come looking for me. And someone did, in fact I magically ended up back on track.  Rachel said that this boot camp is all about finding out things about yourself. Today I found out that I can run without the threat of death and that even when I feel like I'm hopelessly lost, there is always a friend around the corner waiting to get me back on track. 

1 comment: