Friday, August 21, 2009

Boot Camp Day 5: Week one complete

So I'm home and soaking wet, both from sweat and rain. When I got up this morning and came downstairs I noticed that the street outside was wet.  I wondered, would we be running in the rain? The answer is yes, until the thunder and lightning starts and then we won't. We ran for about 25 minutes and then the was sky lit up by lightning.  Frankly, I've been outside when there has been lightning, but I've never been voluntarily running in rain in general or lightning specifically.  So as I continued my very slow run around the stadium I pondered my chances of being hit by lightning. I figured it was pretty small, because I was a moving target, so I sped up a little.  Then I thought maybe I was more attractive to the lightning because I was moving, so I slowed down a little bit.  By the time I made it through my second lap the lightning was really bright and I could hear the thunder. That's when John called off the run. On a side note I didn't get lost this time. I'll admit it I was relieved that we were stopping. I was already tired and sweaty and wet and ready to go home. Then my good buddy Rachel said she was going to the Lester gym to run inside, and I agreed to meet her there. You should read that line again, because that is completely out of character for me.  I went to the gym and ran for 25 more minutes on the elliptical machine. I wasn't really planning on running that long, I told myself I'd run for 5 songs on my ipod. Then number 6 was celebrity skin by Courtney Love and I love that song so I kept going. 

My first week of boot camp is over and I'm thrilled to have survived. This has been a week of firsts for me. The first time I've ever really had an exercise program. The first diet I've ever been on, successfully. The first time I've ever felt horribly exhausted and happy at the same time, that doesn't involve childbirth.  The first time I've ever believed that pain is progress. Because as John says, fat doesn't hurt, if it hurts it's muscle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment