Sunday, August 9, 2009

You can't always get what you want


But sometimes you get what you need. This weekend was suppose to be a birthday weekend full of beach weather and swimming. Instead it was a weekend full of typhoon force winds and humidity.  In the midst of disappointment came a rare treat. Time for me to rest, to enjoy being in the house by myself, to read, to catch up on my blog. To have some me time. Greg and Gabriella went out everyday this weekend, I got to take a nap 3 days in a row.  I haven't taken a nap 3 days in a row ever.  It was great to let Greg take over parenting and entertaining and just take some time out to be me.  How did I fill my days? I rested, I finished a few books, I caught up on all my favorite websites, but most of all I sat and enjoyed the quiet.  I suppose everyone gets a little introspective when birthdays roll around and so I succumbed to the urge to take stock in my life.  To imagine what would have happened if different choices were made and make plans for the future. I realize how thankful I am for what I have and the opportunities afforded to me, that my family and extended family are happy and healthy and that life while not always easy is manageable.  I started my "would like to do" list for this year.  I think this year I have a good chance of accomplishing most of it.  
1. Travel (specifically: Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, etc.)
2. Learn to make delicious Tom Yum Soup. 
3. Learn Japanese (enough to hold a decent conversation and ask questions about food and ingredients)
4. Help my daughter learn to read. 
5. Have another baby. 
Well there is my list.  The more I reflect on it the more daunting and thrilling it becomes. While there is no time limit on the accomplishment of these goals I would like to have a new list on next years birthday filled with different "would like to do"s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment