Friday, September 18, 2009

Why 5 am boot camp is for me.

This morning Greg was called into the hospital to admit a patient so I wasn't able to go to boot camp at my normal time. I did get up briefly and call John to ask him if I could go to the 9:30 am class. Of course he said fine and I went back to bed for a few hours. Gabi was up really early and Greg was kind enough to take her downstairs and get breakfast for her. I got her to school and drove over to the park where we run on Fridays. I can see why 9:30 would be convenient, Gabi is in school so I wouldn't have to worry about Greg getting called in. But there are far more downsides than upsides. First of all it's hot, damn hot, real hot especially in my shorts I can cook things in them, a little crotch pot cooking. Secondly, my brain is actually functioning at that time of day so as I ran today I was thinking of how hard it was, why I should slow down or stop, what I was doing there. I don't usually have those thoughts at 5 am because my brain is just trying to wake my arms and legs up enough to propel me forward. Thirdly, the run is very exposed in the harsh light of day, people can see me coming and watch my progress has I huff and puff down the route. I like the anonymity of darkness, plus at 5 am people aren't interested in me running, if they are out at that park they are either exercising themselves or trying to pick up on other guys. Either way I'm completely off the radar. I also felt rushed dropping off Gabi and school then hurrying over to the park, then hurrying home to take a shower and now I'm only a few minutes away from picking her up. I've had no time to update my facebook status or check my email. So after this experiment with the 9:30 class I think I made the right decision picking 5 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment