Monday, September 28, 2009

Wonderful Weekend


This weekend turned out to be full of great weather and great family fun. First off no one was sick, which always tends to bring the quality of a weekend down slightly. Greg was on call Friday and did get called in at 4:30 am. He was back in time for me to go to Cardio Funk, but I chose to stay in bed instead. My legs still hurt terribly, to the point where sitting on the toilet was horribly painful.

Saturday we went to the southern part of the island to the Peace Prayer Park. It contains a cemetery, museum, wall of the fallen, and a peace tower. We saw everything, walking through the tombs in the cemetery was beautiful, each had some sort of water feature and a place to hang origami cranes. Later when we walked through the rows and rows of names we got a true sense of the scope of how many people died in the battle of Okinawa. Once inside the museum we got headsets so we were able to hear the narration in English. I must say that this museum was heartbreaking, the pictures they chose to display were hard to look at, the stories the survivors told were difficult to listen to. The fortitude of the Okinawan spirit is so strong, the fact that they are still friendly and kind after what they endured during the way is humbling. After the museum we walked to the Peace Tower, which contained a huge statue of Buddha. It also had a collection of paintings inspired by Okinawan history, including the battle. They were truly beautiful and the depiction of certain aspects of the war were done with beauty and compassion. Gabriella for the most part sailed through the museum enjoying the maps and the children's features.

After the museum we went to eat at the fabled Thai in the Sky. It's a thai restaurant overlooking the pacific ocean. It's come with all sorts of recommendations and we finally went. It was so delicious, the Tom Yum soup I had was amazingly spicy and comforting. I ate until I was sure I was going to throw up. I'm pleased to say I didn't. I'm also glad that it's far and hard to get to because if that wasn't the case I would probably go there everyday. Greg had a delicious pad thai and Gabi got the obligatory kids plate that contained a little of everything. I also had their lemongrass tea which was delicious. I was so full after the meal I didn't eat for the rest of the day.

Sunday I taught my second CCD class, my students are working on the Our Father. After that we went to church and then back home. We decided to go out to lunch and catch a movie. We saw Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. All of us enjoyed the movie, Gabi's favorite part was the spaghetti tornado. The movie made me hungry. We also had the Broom's over for a barbecue in the evening. All and all a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment